THE RED STARS - THE WORLD FROM A SILVER STICK
With all the opportunities available for children, why Red Stars? There are many reasons - here are a few:
1. Baton Twirling is a wonderful sport and art form. Dance Twirl is what we do. We twirl batons with accompanying
dance moves ranging from jazz to lyrical to ballet to rock and roll.
2. It is inexpensive compared to many other sports!
3. Baton Twirling with THE RED STARS is FUN! From making new friends, to being physically active , to having the
best twirlers in the country as your instructors, this is one of the top ten programs in the United States today.
4. Children learn discipline, dedication and musicality at RED STARS.
5. The possibilities here are endless. Consider that, while many families vacation at Disney World and watch the Magic
Kingdom Parade, RED STARS have been in the parade nine times in the last nine years. Red Stars compete at Twirl
Mania , ESPN Wide World of Sports, Disney each February.
6. Consider that RED STARS have lead the college marching bands at University of Connecticut, Cornell,University of
Nevada, Las Vegas(UNLV),Penn State (4) Syracuse(5), University of Tennessee(3) Tulane University and many
7. Red Star twirlers have earned more than $350,000.00 in the Miss New Hampshire Scholarship Program in the last 12
years and are proud to have coached five Miss Derry’s. The 2015 Miss New Hampshire and Miss Outstanding Teen were
BOTH baton twirlers from the Red Star Program.
8. As a RECREATIONAL activity-with no competition- it is a perfect way to enjoy a physical activity that combines
movement with grace, the excitement of mastering each trick or twirl, learning to listen to direction, meet new friends
from all over New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
9. We train champions as young as three, but we also offer a non competition program for children wanting to simply
learn the sport. We also offer a “learn to twirl”program for beginner students who like to be in parades and shows.
10. Being in the RED STAR program offers a child the chance to work with wonderful role models. Our high school
and college instructors are experienced with children and are outstanding students academically and in twirling as well as
11. INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCES- Spain, Russia, Denmark, Ireland, Germany, China, three Carnival Cruise
Ships, Liberty and Sugar Bowl performances - how many other NH children get these experiences before the age of 18?
AT RED STARS, YOU choose your journey!
12. Exceptional Staff- lead by Founder/Director and Choreographer, Gina Branley Hutchinson. The Red Stars are in their
thirty ninth year. As a former classroom teacher with thirty five years experience in several grades in public schools in
Derry(South Range) and Plaistow,N.H, “Mrs. H.” brings the expertise needed to bring out the best in every child. Her
staff is trained to do the same. Gina was a former Derry Teacher of the Year and runner up to NH Teacher of the Year in
1989. She was inducted into the first National Baton Twirling Hall of Fame Class in 2004, was named Disney Twirl
Mania “Coach of the Year” in 2009 and 2010. She founded the team in Plaistow in 1972 and is in her 41st year in Derry.
KeriAnn Lynch - was a student of Gina’s.from the age of five. She went on to become the third Red Star Syracuse
University Orange Girl and a nine time Talent Winner in the Miss New Hampshire Scholarship Program as well as
runner up to Miss New Hampshire. “ Miss KeriAnn” has National Championship titles- too many to list!! She received
her Masters Degree from Boston University and is a kindergarten teacher in Lowell, Mass.
Ashley Tiller - Ashley has been a Red Star since she was eight, a National Champion many times and a graduate of
Boston College with a Masters Degree from the Lynch School of Education at BC. She is a teacher at her own alma
mater, the Bagnall Elementary School in Groveland, Mass.
Christine Calder - Prep School Assistant Administrator - she will welcome all Prep Schoolers on Thursdays! She has
a daughter in Red Stars and has been the Prep School coordinator for more than ten years. Christine is a para professional
in the Derry, NH School District.
Tina Avelar - Administrator and Competition Directort - If you have a question- ask Tina! Tina lives in Nashua and
her daughter Jessica, is a Red Star Instructor and former Feature Twirler for Saint Anselm College.
OUR ENTIRE STAFF IS MADE UP OF EDUCATORS AS WELL AS COACH/CHOREOGRAPHERS –
WE KNOW CHILDREN and are prepared to bring the potential in each child!!
WELCOME TO THE INTERNATIONAL RED STAR TWIRLERS' WEBSITE
Founded in 1972 in Plaistow, NH by Gina Branley Hutchinson, who was then Majorette Coach for Timberlane High School Marching Band.